Monday, July 12, 2010

Book - Mornings In Jenin, A Novel

The hallmark of a truly good book (for me) is if it haunts you, follows you, stays in your mind after you close the cover for the last time. Mornings In Jenin, by Susan Abulhawa was such a book.

Insighful, thought provoking, heart-wrenching, certainly controversal.
It goes deep within the horror that fills the Middle East, specifically addressing the Palestinian/Israeli situation and their (seemingly) never ending conflicts. This book opened my eyes to parts of history I sadly knew little or nothing about... but should have. A MUST read in my opinion.

Although this is a novel, historical facts are true, and you come to connect to the people in the story as if they were real.

Certainly there are always (at least) two sides to every story. Mornings In Jenin gave me the Palestinian side over the Israeli side. However, it opened my eyes to many things and asked questions that I now seek answers to. I now find myself facinated with the history of the Middle East, and I plan on pursuing answers to the questions this book raised.

If you've read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I'm heading to the library tomorrow and will look for it.

    ReplyDelete